Sometimes its so easy to get caught up in the daily symptoms you are still experiencing, and not take a step back and see how much progress you’ve made.
I can start to get down on myself and my health situation pretty easily when I’m feeling like crap or not happy with how my body looks.
It’s been four years since my health first started to decline, and four years that I’ve been trying to get back to good.
And while it seems like such a long time to feel like crap most of the time, so many hours spent researching, looking for answers, going to doctors (let alone the money I’ve spent on doctors and supplements), I really have made progress.
Here’s what’s better:
- Energy. While my energy is not where I’d like it to be, it is so much better. I used to crash every afternoon and need to take naps. Some days, I couldn’t even go to work my energy was so low. That happened usually about every 2 or 4 weeks. Now, those days are maybe every two months or so.
- Adrenal fatigue. It’s been about a year since I really burnt out my adrenals from running too much, but I can tell they are getting back to being better, based on my energy levels.
- Sleep. This is the big one. I have finally found the right combination of supplements, herbs, and sleep hygiene that gives me a LOT better sleep than before. I still have trouble falling asleep sometimes, and I don’t sleep totally soundly, but I sleep a lot better and do not have to rely on medications to help me fall asleep. This alone is a big part of the reason numbers 1 and 2 are so much better.
- Anxiety and heart palpitations. I’m still pretty high strung and tend to get anxious, but I don’t have debilitating anxiety attacks like I used to. And the heart palpitations are all but gone.
- Muscle weakness. Again, this is not 100% but a good deal better. And I’ve been lifting weights and strength training for the past 6 months or so, and seeing a good bit of progress there.
So while there are things that have remained the same or gotten worse over the past four years, some things have gotten better, or even much better. And it’s important to focus on that.